[nflug] Seeking a SOHO router/NAT device (with requirements)

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Sat Dec 10 12:00:07 EST 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Richard Hubbard wrote:

> Linksys WRTG-54. I'm not sure if it has exactly everything you want out
> of the box, but since it is running linux, then it is fairly
> straightforward matter to get the exact configuration you need.
>
> Yes, it's wireless, but it also has the wired switch in it, so you can
> basically ignore the wireless part. Forwarding is no problem (they all
> have that, i think) restricting access based on source ip is something
> that can (i believe ) be configured remote admin is openssh

The stock firmware doesn't allow you to put restrictions on forwarded
ports. Once you forward a port, anyone source address can access it. I'm
also 99% sure it doesn't allow administartion via ssh, but it's been so
long since I ran stock firmware. While the sveasoft firemware isn't an
option, it still doesn't (at least alchemy) offer the capability to put
restrictions on forwarded ports either.

However, after some digging and phone calls, I found the dlink DI-604
Revision E will do what I need, with the exception of secure management:

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62&pv=17&sec=1

The manual can be found at:

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di604_revE1/Manual/di604_manual_206.zip

Of interest are pages 21 (Advanced->Virtual Server) and page 29
(Advanced->Filters->Firewall)

The A,B,C revisions of the device make no mention of "Virtual Servers" in
the Firewall section of their manual.