[nflug] UB FTP Mirror Site...

Ron Maggio ronmaggio2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 06:31:22 EST 2005

Hi, Ken
  Thanks for relisting them temporarily, I fully understand that storage space is limited. Question is there an address to tap into the Red Hat new rsync module ftp server directly? I'm asking just in case anyone needs to download anything after wipe the list off. By the way, I might have 7.3 on its way, but I'd might as well download what ever I might need/see, as well as the updates/patches still on the ftp site.

  Thanks, Ron:)

Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

Looks like there seems to be a bit of discussion being generated about
the UB FTP Mirror Site so I guess it's time for me to subscribe to the
list and get Jason out of the middle... :-)

First sorry for the older RedHat Releases being dropped from the site.
RedHat changed the layout of their primary mirror site, moving all of
the older (pre-Fedora Core) releases to a different rsync module and
when it happened I didn't have the time to make the adjustments. RedHat
has for a while now been focused on their RHEL product and not the
earlier freely available distributions (which have been "replaced" by
the Fedora Core releases as I'm fairly sure you know...).

I have replaced what we used to have as far as the older releases went
from the new rsync module RedHat provides. They are at:

ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/redhat-archive/

Now the bad news - the message Jason had forwarded me was asking about
RedHat 7.2. Even before RedHat restructured things I wasn't still
carrying that. I only had the most recent minor version number for each
of the major version numbers. In the case of RedHat 7.X that meant I
had RedHat 7.3, not RedHat 7.2. Sorry but we don't have the disk space
available to carry *everything* (as much as I'd like to...). If you
have not been able to get RedHat 7.2 yet I can arrange to download it
temporarily for you but I can't keep it around forever. Let me know if
you need me to do that.

Jason also forwarded a message suggesting we carry Fedora. We have been
carrying that ever since it got started:

ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/fedora/

And while I'm here... Another message Jason had forwarded questioned us
removing stuff. As much as I'd like to keep stuff forever we simply
can't - disk space costs money and is finite. As for example Fedora
comes out with a new release I'm often faced with deciding what thing(s)
I need to remove because the new release simply won't fit in the amount
of disk space I have left over at the time and I can't afford to go buy
more. So it's something of a natural process for older and less useful
stuff to simply need to go away. In this case I had not intended for it
to happen and I've replaced what was lost but at some point I'm afraid
some of this older stuff will need to go away in favor of newer stuff.

Hopefully I'm on the list now and can see any more traffic about this
topic (and Jason won't need to be in the middle... :-).

--
Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to | kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
there, funny things are everywhere. |