[nflug] Recursive "/boot" directory

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Dec 6 08:24:21 EST 2005

Robert F. Stockdale IV wrote:

> That seems to be the problem. What would be the best way to mount the
> /boot partition? This is a scsi drive. I believe it is "/dev/sda1",
> but I'm not positive.
> Bob
>
> out put of df -lh

> /dev/sda2             2.9G  194M  2.7G   7% /
> udev                  442M  220K  442M   1% /dev
> /dev/sda5              15G   12G  3.7G  76% /usr
> /dev/sda6              16G  536M   15G   4% /opt
> /dev/sdb1              19G  4.1G   15G  22% /home
> /dev/sdb3              15G  332M   15G   3% /var
> none                  442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm
>

> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Are you using partition labels for your mounts? Check to see what's
>> actually mounted "df -lh". I've seen problems when I had 2 drives in
>> with the same boot label and the system just decided not to mount
>> anything at all (with my /boot that is).
>

> ----snip-----

Ok then, it sounds like something wrote to your /boot directory when the
/boot partition wasn't mounted. I would have a look in /etc/fstab and
see how the partition was told to mount. Do a "fdisk -l" to see all your
partitions and to verify that /dev/sda1 is actually there. You can see
what label it might have by running "e2label /dev/sda1" If it returns
nothing, it has no label. You can do that to all your partitions to see
if you have a conflicting /boot label somewhere. If you have no label,
you can set one by "e2label /dev/sda1 /boot" and you can relabel the
conflicting one to say "e2label /dev/sdb1 /oldboot" <---If that is the
conflicting one, etc.. I do not know how to use e2label to "blank" the
label, just to rename it. When you format a partition without a label
option, is one way to blank them but just renaming works for me. In your
/etc/fstab is where your mount would use labels or not, if you don't
want to use labels, just declare the partition itself.