[nflug] Looking for Sharp Zaurus -> Cell Phone/Dial-Up Solution

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Fri Dec 2 21:34:04 EST 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, David Dudek wrote:

> Getting back to your original question, I don't recall anything that
> worked like that for the 5600, but I do remember that they had some CF
> device that turned it into T-Mobile phone.  All you had to do was plug
> an ordinary cell headset into the headphone jack.

Dave - I ended up at the myzaurus site after some googling - is the page
below the one you'd seen?

http://www.myzaurus.com/wirelessInter.asp

It looks like it's just a 802.11b card and the page is promoting 802.11x
wireless networks offered by T-Mobile at various locations.

Regardless of if the device alluded to in the url above is the one you
were thinking of, if it's a T-Mobile device, it probably wouldn't do me
much good since T-Mobile is GSM/GPRS and I have Verizon, which operates on
CDMA.

-> From here on, I know very little about the subject matter, so someone
please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I've gathered that phones that utilize GSM/GPRS networks allow you to drop
SIM cards from any phone into them and they will essentially "just work",
provided they are compatible with your celluar provider. It looks like
this holds true for the compact flash celluar cards.

But since my existing service is though Verizon though, I'd need a CDMA
compatible celluar card - which I'm not having much luck finding, with the
exception of the Sprint PCS Connection Card CF2031, which will only work
with Sprint's network.

So now I'm looking for a compact flash celluar card compatible with
Verizon's CMDA network, and then able to operate as a generic Hayes
compatible modem so I can do PPP over it - am I dreaming? Would I be
dreaming if I were to drop the linux compatibility requirement?

If such a gem exists, can anyone speak as to how I'd use it with my
existing service? I'm fairly sure there's no SIM-type card in my phone.
Would I have to choose between the cell phone and a CF celluar card?

(I shudder to think what such a card might cost if I were able to find
one...)

How about a compact flash <-> female usb1 card? (to plug into a data
cable for the phone) Is this even possible, or am I chasing another
unicorn as well?

sigh...
-Mark