[nflug] kernel grubbing- was: gentoo/alsa/kernel question

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 1 11:35:38 EST 2005

OK, I emerged alsa-drivers and alsa-utils, but alsaconf gives me:

       No supported PnP or PCI card found.
		 x   xx  x
	Would you like to probe legacy ISA sound cards/chips?

The sound card in here is an SBLive (emu10k1) that was new a month ago
and working well the last time I was running the 2k side, so I can't
imagine how it could have come unseated.
Perhaps that means there's no Soundcore support in the first genkernel?

Since the sound activated kernel compiled successfully (which none of my
attempts at rolling my own during the install have, hence the use of
genkernel), I'm thinking being able to reboot into it would be alot
easier than wresling with alsconf.

But I still have no idea how to update grub to find the new kernel,
something I would truly like to learn, as I have a suse8.2 box here with
a ridiculously old kernel (and an equally ridiculous amount of
configuration after a couple of years of heavy use that I don't
particularly want to just install over with something else if I can tuck
a new kernel in there and make some things work that aren't at the moment.

Any advice on this would be great.
Thanks,
S.