Linux wireless router (doable?)

Ronald Wechter rwechter at liberatortime.com
Thu Aug 11 15:16:24 EDT 2005

Well, Im not telling you to get a WRT54G but I wanted to mess with linux and
routing but did not want to sacrafice my main linux box.  This may not
pertain to you so treat this more as useful(less) information :)

So...in the Linux Journal I saw an ad for Routerboard.com -- Very small form
factor cards that run either their own Router OS or Debian Linux - Great
thing is that there are no moving parts, run linux, and can use PoE etc.  To
solve the wireless devices you can get a Cisco MiniPCI card for arou 80-100
(cheapest I found).  The RouterBoard 500 is about $160 (With 2 MiniPCI card
slots) thus making it a $300 solution.

All my old PCs either didnt have RAM or the BIOS couldnt accept over a 1gb
HD etc.  Either way I was going to spend ~$200 on a system that is old and
noisy (old fans) vs. the router board has no moving parts and is as powerful
- Downfall = Only32mb ram and 64MB nand storage.

Ron