64 bit cpu

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Wed Aug 10 13:18:46 EDT 2005

Dave Andruczyk wrote:

>>Dave or anyone,
>>
>>How does a dual-core processor system compare with a dual-processor?
>>There are advantages in power consumption and heat generation with the
>>former, but I'm sure there are differences that result in lower
>>performance as well.  L1 and/or L2 cache, bottlenecks?
>>

>dual core doesn't give you anything like dual processor will give you.
>Lets say you want to run two mpeg video encodes,  on a dual proc, both cpus
>will  get max utilization and the encode will take "x" time.  On a dual core,
>the encode will take about "1.6 x" time as a true dual proc setup.
>
>dual cores have MUCH MUCH more issues of L2 cache contention and thrashing then
>dual proc. (where each has their own cache)  Linux 2.6 is quite good at keep
>processes from moving back and forth between cpus now too which improves
>efficency and cache hits as well..
>
>Dual cores can be cheaper money wise,  but I'd rather have a lower Mhz dual
>processor system instead of a high Ghz simple cpu dual core setup.
>

>Dave J. Andruczyk

Dave,

Thanks for the comments.  I'd gotten so spoiled by the responsiveness of
a high performance computer that when it came time to replace my old
Dell 410 SMP workstation I briefly considered dual-core systems, and
Dell does sell a well designed new model 380 but decided to go the
familiar route with a 480 dual 3.0GHz Xeon set for hyperthreading, 1GB
RAM, dual 15,000RPM SCSI drives in RAID0 on a PERC 320 bus-mastering
controller, nVidia Quadro NVS video, and Audigy2 sound.

With this system running Fedora Core and kernel 2.6.12-1smp not only do
all everyday tasks, work, and operations occur nearly immediately, but
compilation, data, audio, and vidio processing are fast enough to
support play and exploration of whatever I wish.  On top of all that,
multi-tasking is so efficient that I have yet to run enough simultaneous
processes that the system fails to respond to my next command.

In this day of the high quality $1000 computer most people would not
consider spending nearly 3 times that, but given how much time I spend
working with these tools for me it's money well spent.

Frank