64 bit cpu

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 09:54:32 EDT 2005

> Dave or anyone,
>
> How does a dual-core processor system compare with a dual-processor?
> There are advantages in power consumption and heat generation with the
> former, but I'm sure there are differences that result in lower
> performance as well.  L1 and/or L2 cache, bottlenecks?

dual core doesn't give you anything like dual processor will give you.
Lets say you want to run two mpeg video encodes,  on a dual proc, both cpus
will  get max utilization and the encode will take "x" time.  On a dual core,
the encode will take about "1.6 x" time as a true dual proc setup.

dual cores have MUCH MUCH more issues of L2 cache contention and thrashing then
dual proc. (where each has their own cache)  Linux 2.6 is quite good at keep
processes from moving back and forth between cpus now too which improves
efficency and cache hits as well..

Dual cores can be cheaper money wise,  but I'd rather have a lower Mhz dual
processor system instead of a high Ghz simple cpu dual core setup.

Dave J. Andruczyk