64 bit cpu

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 09:41:41 EDT 2005

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just curious if anyone is running any 64 bit
> processors sing Linux distros. I have been noticing
> that the mobos /cpu prices are reasonable to buy. Are
> there any special configs I need to do when loading?
> How well to the apps run? Just looking for answer..

I've ran linux on Sun UltraSparc's for the past couple years,  those are 64
bit, and have ran it just fine.  Beware that 64 bit doesn't really give you
much except REALLY REALLY big access to lots of memory (that most boards can't
house anyways), thus 64 bit boxen are more suited to massive (terabytye+
databases) or huge scientific calculations.

I'd say save your money and get a dual processor box instead. That extra CPU
makes a huge diff when you tend to run lots of CPU intensive calcs (video
encoding, compiling, games, etc...

I've had a dual proc machine ever since a Dual Pentium pro 200 and will never
a dualie can feel compared to a much faster single cpu machine.  My current box
is an aging Dual Athlon 1.2Ghz and still feels screaming fast, so I feel no
pressing need to go for the latest 3+ Ghz 64 bit machine as what's it going to
gain me?.  I don't run terabyte sized DB;s or massive scientific calcs,  and
some games don't work on the 64 bit platforms. (some OpengL drivers, like
nvidia's aren't as full featured and stable yet on 64 bit arch's too)

Dave J. Andruczyk