log tweak

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 1 05:12:25 EDT 2005

The very general rule is that  syslog only logs what it is told to.  So,
depending on what you are using for your firewall, that is the program
configuration to change..

for example if you are using shorewall (highly recommended, basically a
fairly complete front end for iptables, only understandable by humans)
there is a file 'shorewall.conf' which primarily configures logging:
http://shorewall.sourceforge.net/
(click on documentation, then on Configuration File Reference Manual,
then on shorewall.conf)
this has several configuration lines which allow you to set the log
level for lots of different events.
Other firewalls should be similar.