MySQL 4.0.21 and new licensing...

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Fri Sep 10 07:31:55 EDT 2004

Rather than include the whole email about MySQL's next release of their
MySQL 4.0.x database, which is viewable on their website, I thought I'd
note the part that caught my eye.

With the release of 4.0.21, MySQL is now using a "FLOSS Licensing
Exception" for certain open source cases.  Some of which have caused me
great ire in regards to personal opinions, specifically two things:

-- PHP 5.0 using another SQL db besides MySQL for it's default/preferred
db "out of the box" (you have to include the mysqli extension, not hard at
all, I just like php4 too much, heh).

-- RedHat/Fedora's default inclusion of MySQL 3.x series instead of 4.x.
3.x is very much dated... I use 4.0 for stable and 4.1 for testing and
playing... the fact that Fedora & RedHat stuck with the 3.x series has
made me convert many servers in my workplace to Slackware GNU/Linux.

The link to MySQL's "FLOSS Licensing Exception" is noted below...

  - Tony