I will not give up!

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 21:11:49 EDT 2004

--- frank at mogosystems.com wrote:

> I will never under any circumstances EVER run back to M$ with my tail tucked
> between my legs.
>
> About 4-6 weeks ago, I downloaded the madwifi20030802.tgz to get my D-Link
> DWL-G650 PCMCIA card working on my Toshiba laptop under then RedHat 9 and now
> Fedora Core 2. I believe the reason the driver is so named is because it will
> indeed drive you mad. It's also guaranteed to reduce the amount of hair on
> your head.
>
> After a month and a half, this linux newbie is still trying. You wouldn't
> believe
> all the failed dependencies and all the modules, libraries and other things
> that
> need to be fixed. I am still unable to network wirelessly.(Is that a new
> word?
> Did I coin a phrase?)
>
> I can't even do a make oldconfig without missing files or dependencies.

Welcome to RPM hell..  One reason why I stopped using readhat a few years ago,
as because of that exact situation..  I currently use gentoo (www.gentoo.org).
The install probably takes the longest (it's a compile from source distro)
though you can shorten that significantly by using prebuilt packages from the
liveCD's.

Their install guide is top notch and excellent for newbiews who want to LEARN
how to build a linux box on a bit lower level than a mandrake/suse/redhat
install.

The effort is worth it, plus a lot of what you'll learn will help you get
around better on non-gentoo systems (like redhat/debian/suse)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk