looking for advice

Ronald Maggio ron_maggio2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 06:45:41 EDT 2004

Mr Michael Phillips <linux478 at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Stephen wrote:
> Can you give me some advice I am receiving a new
> hard drive from work to
> add linux to my home computer?

> My currant home system has two drives a 60gig and
> 20gig now I will add a
> 100gig to my P4 with 160meg ram

It is kind of hard to give advice without hard drive
space requirements by each operating system( Like how
much space for applications ). I might be able to
shed some light on the subject with this limited
information. Also, just to warn you I have no Windows
2000 experience. I think the best way to install the
operating systems would be in this order Windows XP,
Windows 2000, Windows 98, and then Linux.

Try using a partitioning program like System Commander or Partition Magic/Boot Magic. I would install Win 98 first, then 2000 and XP, and then finally Linux. But thats just my opinion.

Question, why do you want to install XP? Win 2000 and XP are nearly the same! If you have no need for all the multimedia features of XP, I would just install Win 2000 and be done with it. Also Win 2000 does not call home nor naggs you about EULA.

Also I
would keep personal documents and work files on a FAT
partition(s). The reason for this is to give access
to personal and work files from any operating system.

Yes, Stephen, I agree with Mr. Phillips this way any OS can have access to that partition. I would also put all personal and work files on one partition, and have another partition for any productivity software used with Win 98, 2000, or XP. The only software installed with each OS should be Utilities and the like. ie: Anti-virus and so on...

Now for the partitioning, I would have a partition for
each of the Windows operating systems.

This is where a partitioning software comes in handy. To be able to boot to each OS you will need a partitioning/booting program like the software stated above. Hope this helps.

Ron:)

Personal and
work files would get there own partitions. Linux
needs at least two partitions. The answer for
dividing Linux is determind by what the operating
system is being use for.

I hope this helps.
Michael

http://mail.yahoo.com