Zip to mutiple floppies

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Wed Oct 27 11:27:14 EDT 2004

You don't need to do that. Zip has the ability to split a output across
multiple files, and the utility zipsplit specifically does that. Chek
the man page on zip. Below is an excerpt.

zipsplit [options] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] zipfile

Split a zip file into multiple zip files.

"Size" must be larger than the largest compressed file.

OPTIONS

-t: tell how many files would be used, but don't create them
-i: create index (zipsplit.idx), count size against first zip file
-n: maximum zip file size (default = 36000 bytes)
-r: leave room for so many bytes on the first disk (default = 0)
-b: path for output zip files
-p: pause between output zip files
-s: output zip files in sequence, even if it's not optimal
See also: zip

Example use:

See how many zip files it would be, if split into 100,000 bytes each.

zipsplit -tn 100000 blah.zip

Perform the split.

zipsplit -n 100000 blah.zip

Retrieved from http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Zipsplit