The FreeBSD Project

Ronald Maggio ron_maggio2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 16:28:00 EDT 2004

Hi, Alex
Ok I see, yes the book mentions and explains it all in detail, I just have not gotten that far in the book yet. Sounds cool, ah will look into all that and see. I think that is what cd's 3 & 4 are that came with the book? CD 1 is installation boot, CD 2 is Live Filesystem, CD 3 & 4 are Extra Packages. Sounds cool, can't wait to get it installed and learn how to use it. I really want to look into whats on the web for it as you say and play around, hopefully while not screwing it up!

Thanks, Ron

Alex Koch <alexkoch at gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:19:08 -0700 (PDT), Ronald Maggio
wrote:
> There's also a cd for the ports system (all the 3rd party software).
>
> Whats a Ports System???
>

> You can donwload & compile software off the web, or use packages from
> the cd.
>
> Well it comes with 4 cd's so I'm sure its full of software!
>
> Thanks for you input.
>
> Ron

BSD's port system is a collection of non-essential software, along
with an easy method of installing it, keeping track of dependencies,
including BSD specific patches and configurations, updating, etc.
Things like apache, x-windows, mozilla and bash would be found and
could be installed by using the ports system.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ lists the software that can be installed.

~ Alex