The FreeBSD Project

Ronald Maggio ron_maggio2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 13:19:08 EDT 2004

Alex Koch <alexkoch at gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:21:54 -0700 (PDT), Ronald Maggio
wrote:

> Hello, I have a project that I'm working on and am in need of some advice.
>
> I have an old IBM PC Server 310, I have 2 scsi cards installed. The first
> card has 3 hdd's and scsi cd-rom. This card & drives I would like to install
> Mandrake 7.0 on.
>
> The other card has no cd-rom but 4 drives on it, I would like to install
> FreeBSD on this other set of drives.
>
> Is it possible?

The computer should be able to access all of the drives at any time
regardless of what controller you install your OSes on.

> Should I install FreeBSD first then Mandrake?
>
> Will lilo can come up with a boot menu, so I can boot into Mandrake or
> FreeBSD?

The install order should not matter, the only problem might be how you
set up the booting (I'm not sure if mandrake will automatically set up
it's boot loader on the MBR to put a menu item for FreeBSD if it is
already installed if you were to install linux first)

<-----------------------------snip------------------------------>

Thats my problem, If I install FreeBSD first on card 1 w/4 hdd's, and Mandrake on card 2 w/3 hdd's. I wonder if that will be a problem getting Mandrake to add FreeBSD to the menu? Can only try and see what happens I guess?

> I bought a book on eBay for $4 The Complete FreeBSD, 3rd edition. By Greg
> Lehey Pub: Walnut Creek. (NEW) It has 4 cd-rom's with FreeBSD 4.6

That is fairly old, the current stable release of freebsd is 4.10 (and
there is a 5.x development branch if you want to try it), you might
want to (if you have broadband) to download the latest install cd.

>From what I've read so far its based on the 4.4 release. Well I'd like to use the one that came with the book so I can follow along and not run into any problems.

There's also a cd for the ports system (all the 3rd party software).

Whats a Ports System???

You can donwload & compile software off the web, or use packages from
the cd.

Well it comes with 4 cd's so I'm sure its full of software!

Thanks for you input.

Ron

~ Alex