LVM stuff

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Nov 18 14:49:27 EST 2004

i use LVM in linux and solaris for managing large file systems it's the
way to go, though solaris has some goodies like soft-partitions that i
think linux needs.

when using LVM you assiciate disks or partitions with a volume group and
create logical volumes within the group. the logical volumes are what
you make you file systems on and mount. for the purposes for backup and
restore you can use any utility that you'd use on a normal file system,
dump/restore, tar, cpio, etc.

example time. you've placed /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdc1, both 10gb into
volume group named "system". with this group you might create 2 5gb
logical volumes, 000 and 001 and make XFS files systems on each volume.
you might them mount /dev/system/000 on /home and /dev/systems/001 on
/exports. to dump the FS use 'xfsdump options /dev/system/000' if 000 is
filling up you could extend the logical volume by adding /dev/hdc2 to it
and growing the FS with xfs_growfs.

i hope this was what you where looking for.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
darinper at cognigencorp.com