FC3 Audio CD Problems

David Mangani dmangani at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 16 20:50:36 EST 2004

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:

>    That's strange that your cdrom is hda, why not your hard drive?
> Perhaps that was the cause?  -Jesse
>
> David Mangani wrote:
>
>> David Mangani wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply. I also use apt/synaptic, do you recall what
>>> you upgraded when the problem went away? This seems like such a
>>> basic functionality issue, hard to see how this could have slipped
>>> through. I did see something regarding the power down issue. I
>>> haven't tried it yet though. The poster in one of the fedora forums
>>> said the problem went away after he disabled <not sure> the power
>>> saving feature in his bios. Could be a struggle between the OS and
>>> the bios. My 2 cents.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> P.S. I also can NOT telinit to runlevel 3 from runlevel 5. It begins
>>> to kill X then simply hangs. The only way I can get to runlevel 3 is
>>> to edit my initab file and reboot. weird. This held me up for a
>>> while when I was installing the Nvidia drivers. So far to me
>>> anyways, FC3 seems kind of buggy.
>>>
>> I found the original post on Fedora forums. If anyone else has the
>> cdrom issue, try this. It worked for me.
>>
>> ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom
>> chmod +rw /dev/cdrom
>>
>> ( on my computer hda is the cdrom, replace this as necessary)
>> I now have nice cd music again. Maybe this will help someone else.
>>
>> Dave

I know.... This is a home built PC. I have 2 optical drives and 2 hard
drives. The drive order is simply the result of a rats nest of ribbon
cables I'm also using cables that border on being to short( I'm to cheap
to buy longer ones LOL ). It had always been detected and worked out of
the box before, So..... I never really bothered with it.

Dave