since it's so quiet...

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Sun Nov 14 15:48:50 EST 2004

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:

> pirrone wrote:
>
>> Firestarter
>>

> wow, how helpful

Jesse,

I'm so sorry if my intended humor in being so terse with my response was
not evident to you, though I still hope the value of my reply was more
clear than you suggest.  Please, let me amplify this a bit:

Firestarter is an excellent GTK GUI firewall application released under
the GPL which is a front-end to current Linux firewalling protocols.
It's highly configurable, can be started automatically through Sys V
scripts or launched manually as I do with my dial-up connection, has an
excellent and simple wizard to control port access, and has a live hits
window where you can monitor and respond to probes against your system.
I keep mine open in the upper left corner of Fluxbox while Firefox runs
in a centered window, and can monitor IP activtiy.  Occasionally I need
to momentarily drop the firewall, for example to access ntp0.cornell.edu
in ntpdate, and the program has a nice toolbar for stopping and starting
along with other functions.

This app is available both as binary RPM and other packages, and source
which has always compiled uneventfully for me since the first release.
Its main developer is Tomas Junnonen, and its available from
http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/download.php.

There, that should take the knot out of your panties.  Still, you really
didn't think my one word answer was sufficient?

Frank

--
humans may reply by deleting the x from my address