FC2 & multimedia

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 7 12:41:03 EST 2004

Hello,

I have just finished installing BLAG linux (
http://www.blagblagblag.org/ ) to replace a SuSE 8.2 system that fried
in various ways I do not yet fully understand, practically the same day
that I had finally gotten it configured to play just about any media
file I could find. It appears, from the installation and startup
visuals, that it is based on FCx, so it will probably run on your
machine. I am still trying to rebuild something resembling the SuSE
system that died, so I am just tasting the flavor of this particular
linux. So far, it seems to be very madia friendly (xmms {with mp3
support}, mplayer, xine, etc, all on one CD). I did an "Everything"
install to save time on package selection and since I have more than
enough room on this HD, so I am confident that there is much more here
that I have not even discovered yet.

I would recommend it highly.

I know that RH took mp3 functionality out of 9 (easily replaced with
rpms from somewhere out there), but I'm not sure what fedora does,
since, until now, I have only used a couple of FC installations briefly,
as I have not been able to get Samba running properly on it. Same here
with blag, so far, except this time I am determined to get it working,
since it also comes with XFce and blackbox window managers, which is
nice. No KDE, though, so kaffeine, one of the better media players I
have found, could be tricky to install.

Any help with Samba on fedora would be most welcome. Thanks.

Hope it works for you,
/*S.*/