Disk Partition Percentage

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 6 14:28:20 EST 2004

I don't particularly agree. First the swap should be as close to the
center of a disk to reduce head movement across the platters. It also
speeds up access.  I keep /home, /opt  /boot, / and /usr separate. I
like to mount nfs partitions from a server for /var, /usr/local/share,
/usr/src and eventually I'll mount /home from the server as well.
Percentages are tough thing to estimate as it really is dependent upon
what the machine is used for.  Definitely keep /boot small useless you
do a lot of kernel testing and configuring. If you tend to install
programs in your home directory then give it lots of space. Better to
use /opt , /usr/local or /usr/local/share for those. That is IMHO.
Bob