Disk Partition Percentage

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Nov 6 12:35:09 EST 2004

That being said and this being circa 2005 (almost), It now makes sense
why, on an auto partition scenario, the distro (RH, FC) will make the
swap partition at the end of the drive and usually on a logical
partition rather than a primary. If, now with fast hard drives and lots
of memory, the swap partition has become less important (as far as place
and size), I could see why they would put it at the end and on a logical
vs primary partition. If what is behind the swap is not important, then
the swap partition could be deleted and or resized without affecting the
partitions before it. If the partition is before
other/important/want-to-keep-as-is partitions and you remove one in
front of it, then the blocks get reassigned. Jesse found that one out
the hard way yesterday ;). And in light of the fact of less importance,
whatever, then I would think that the auto partition assignment of twice
the RAM for the swap should be changed so you don't end up with swap
partitions in 1GB ranges.
  So, my original question was, is a swap partition in the 1GB range a
total waste? In 2005 circa??