mythtv stuff

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Tue Mar 23 15:51:40 EST 2004

   Speaking for my Dad(Pete) and myself(Jesse):

     "You can not use xawtv to determine if your audio is working
correctly, since xawtv is simply using the the analog sound patched
through line-in to line-out. It doesn't need to digitize the sound
unless you are using the recording function." - quoted from the
MythTV troubleshooting website -

     We've been hacking away at MythTV for almost a day now, and here's
our conclusions on what's going on.
1. XAWTV works perfect. After we run XAWTV and start up MythTV the channel
we are on is the channel we left off on with XAWTV. However, when we
change the channels, everything hangs and crashes and we get those sound
errors. I happen to think it's a problem with the database now, because we
tried to remove our MythTV database and start from scratch, but when we
try to restart MySQL, it fails, and we get tons of "InnoDB" errors in the
MySQLd log.
2. Saying that, does this mean XAWTV and MythTV are directly connected?
Would it just be crashing because the database isn't correct, and still
giving us audio errors? Then after it crashes the sound stays running
playing horrible static noise, and doesn't stop until we run XAWTV and
close it. BUT! Running XAWTV after MythTV crashes screws up the XAWTV
configuration and I have to manaually change it back to NTSC and US-Cable,
so obviously they are connected some way.
3. I think it's obvious that something isn't set up right. Whether it's
the database or the actual sound is what has us confused. Here's some of
the errors we get when trying to restart MySQL, even when it says it
starts, it still failed:

040323 15:18:50  mysqld started
040323 15:18:50  InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
InnoDB: You may get better performance if you configure a bigger
InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.
InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
040323 15:18:50  InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
040323 15:18:50  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be
created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
040323 15:18:51  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be
created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
040323 15:18:52  InnoDB: Started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
040323 15:19:04  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown
040323 15:20:42  mysqld started
040323 15:20:43  InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
InnoDB: You may get better performance if you configure a bigger
InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.
040323 15:20:43  InnoDB: Started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
040323 15:22:33  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

     Any ideas guys?!?! Any help is much appreciated. Anyone wanna stop by
and set us straight? Pizza's on us! Thanks, Jesse