[inbox] RE: lilo/grub

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 14:45:24 EST 2004

Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
We currently have 1-Seagate Cheetah Ultra320 SCSI ST336607LW 36GB Drive in stock for $229.00. If your interested let me know or we could get one in for ya.

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't have the card for that type of scsi. I'm using SCSI-2 hardware in this box. I need a ST34371N and would only be willing to spend at top price $10.00 , but I'd like to get it for around $5.00  These are (old scsi drives not current) (Salvageware) if not rescued to resell they would be tossed and end up in a landfill. I'm looking for a used but in excelent working order. No bad sectors! No other problems! Yes, I've been on eBay and if the Sellers think they have a Goldmine their nutts! As well as the morons that keep bidding and bidding on salvageware! God if I'm going to pay that much for salvageware, I'd rather build a (New) system with current hardware to crying out loud.

Thanks,

tHecActUsKid:)

TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:

Hi, Greg

I'm using SCSI as well, and its an older system. IBM PC Server 315
So after reading min system requirements. I have Mandrake 7.0 laying around here so I think I'll install it on this system. Its an Pentuim Pro 200Mhz (1) 128mb ram and a 4mb Video Card. So I think the latest and greatest will not work anyway. Also this system will have only Linux on it so I need not worry about Lilo, but was just interested as to the groups opinion. I will be installing Linux on a few systems, some older and some newer.

By the way, do you think SuSE 6.1 Full retail version will do ok on a Pentium 1 mmx 200Mhz? 4mb video 128+ ram? I have SuSE sitting around as well. Oh...where can you get GOOD scsi drives here locally WNY reasonable! SCSI-3. I need one more Seagate ST34371N to complete this system.

Thanks, tHecActUsKid

Greg Neumann <dadneumann at adelphia.net> wrote:
Umm .... I've had nothing but trouble with grub and SCSI partitions.
Maybe I'm too old and inflexible, but the configuration was very picky
and arcane to my mind. I tried it w/ Mandrake and Gentoo and Slackware,
and scrapped it as far too unfriendly and difficult to set up. Somehow,
saving and exiting vim and typing "lilo -v" doesn't seem very hard at
all. I have had XP pro booting as an option ... about 2 years ago ...
from lilo, and I didn't have any troubles. I usually have 3 kernels,
plus at least one Windows partition going at any given moment. I suspect
it's alot like which word processor you like. The one you learned first
and most thoroughly is always the best ... simply because!
BIG CAVEAT!! I've ONLY used grub on pure SCSI systems, never IDE. As
grub seems more "slanted" to IDE, it may be completely different for that.
J! ust an old Slackware (since '94!) curmuddgeon's gripe. No flame war
intended! ;-) If lilo failed me and grub worked, I'd change in a heartbeat!

-Greg

TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:
> Hi, y'all
> So tell me whats the difference between Lilo and Grub?
> In other words why is Grub better?
>
> Thanks, tHecActUsKid:)
>
> "Riga, Anthony" wrote:
> Pete