[inbox] RE: lilo/grub

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Mar 22 12:48:01 EST 2004

You should look at what the problem is exactly, if you want to that is.
My office system is a mixture of IDE and SCSI, no problems. My servers
are all SCSI, no problems. Never had one really. One really cool feature
I like about GRUB is the devices.map file. In there you tell it what is
the first drive and so on like "(hd0)  /dev/sda" or "(hd0) /dev/hda" ,
the first one  would make the SCSI sda in your system the first drive
and the second one would make your IDE hda your first drive, etc. and so
on. If your mixing drives like SCSI and IDE and didn't necessarily
install as such so that the system did the config for you, it was a real
pain with LILO, I found that is.
Rerunning the lilo command is no biggie, unless you can mount the
system, then it's a HUGE biggie. With GRUB, any way I can boot the
machine to run vi, I can fix it.
Some say tomato, some say tomata, lol