Types of partitions

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 08:11:15 EST 2004

"Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at adelphia.net> wrote:
Still working on it. Some knowledge about how scsi works and that it can
access multiple drives simultaneously. Therefore, try to keep partitions
that get heavy use on separate drives. More later.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Oh I see, something like I was trying to figure out, and why I was flipping the partitions around on paper. Sounds cool! What would be the most used partitions? Would you say: swap, /, /var, ??? That is why I was moving them around in my mind!

I have not started the install till I'm sure of the line-up. As well as getting 80 minute CD-R's to burn with so I can turn the ISO's I downloaded from ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/ into binary.

>From all I've read SCSI has its pro's and con's but the pro's out weight the con's. SCSI is so cool, but the more modern SCSI is still out of my reach$. One day I will build a new system with modern SCSI...all the top shelf parts.

I'd like to build a hot-swap raid server just for the heck of it. All the bells and whistles. Even if I can't build a new one I can try to build one as a legacy hardware box as I'm doing now.

Well I just woke up and need coffee, talk to ya later have a good one!

tHecActUsKid:)

TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:

> */"Robert F. Stockdale IV" /* wrote:
>
> Another reason and probably most important for servers using SCSI
> drives is load balancing.
> Bob
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> How does one create it? And how can you tell if you've achieved
> load balancing or not? Also is there software to baseline it? What
> about if anything needs adjustment or changes? Can one make any
> changes after an install to improve load balancing or are you
> stuck with what you've got?
>
> Thanks for all the info Guys.
>
> tHecActUsKid:)

Do you Yahoo!?