Gibberish in Spam Mail

Robert Todd robert_todd at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 10 13:29:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 10:36, Mark T. Valites wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, hawkwynd wrote:
>

> > Periodically, when I look through some of the spam I receive, there's
> > garbled text, and words that are not real words
>
> I've seen a handfull of these slip through spamassassin for me over the
> last month or so. I suspect the spammers are creating multi-part messages
> with gibberish in plain text formatting, and the real spam in the html.
> Often all I see in pine is the gibberish until I view the raw message, but
> my users whose email clients happily render anything see both parts.

That's one thing I like about the spam filter in my my all-in-wonder BBS
package :)  It tends to catch EVERYTHING :)  Then again, it uses the
SpamCop and MAPS RBL servers to check messages, too :)

Robert Todd
Admin, lupine.sytes.net
Running Synchronet BBS v3.11b for Linux
  on a Dell Optiplex GX100 Running Fedora Core1 Linux
EMail (BBS/Home): warp.4 at lupine.sytes.net OR robert_todd at adelphia.net
EMail (Work):  robert.todd at adelphia.com