Debian Question

Stan Hiller sjhiller-nflug at fireswamp.net
Thu Jun 24 19:52:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 19:31, David Mangani wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply Stan, I appreciate it. I'm kind of in
> right now as I have already downloaded 4 full iso's. LOL Oh well, I
> suppose I could go get the minimum install cd and go that route.

I'd definitely do the single install cd route. Downloading 14 debian
cd's is kind of a waste, for the following reasons:
1) you're not going to come close to using a significant fraction of the
packages on the cd's
2) a large portion of the packages you *do*install will already be out
of date and need to be upgraded to newer versions anyway
3) swapping cds sucks when you could instead just let 'apt-get' do all
the work *and* get the latest versions in the process
4) cd-r's might be dirt cheap, but why waste 14 of them all at once?

Your call, of course, but I heartily reccomend just doing the minimal
install. You'll be up and running way sooner and with less waste.

Regards,
Stan