[inbox] FAT32, NFS and Knoppix

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 24 16:03:17 EDT 2004

You won't need to get that radical. XP knows the FAT32 system, and it
will run natively on it. You can put in the old drive as a slave, XP
will recognize it as a FAT32, be able to access it and then you can copy
files back and forth to you're heart's content! I have done this
successfully at work.
NOTE: Be aware of any implication of opening a new Dell computer and
possible voiding of tech support / warranty. Probably this wonderful
"tech support" stuff is behind you're friend's decisions. I doubt Dell
would be happy to support a brand-new machine that was immediately
opened to have an old, unknown hard drive put in. One very good reason
to let a good, local guy like Cybersource handle any computer needs
involving file transfers from previous machines.
Alternatively, you could network the ailing machine and try to copy the
flies from it to the new machine. If the motherboard is ailing ... this
could get very risky. Also, writing to the NTFS under Linux is NOT
supported except in very alpha/testing stages in Linux. There are all
sorts of warnings about this in the kernel config files.
Finally, try to avoid the handy XP file transfer wizards. In my
experience, like all magicians, they're more slight of hand and illusion
that reality. ;-)
-Greg