FAT32, NFS and Knoppix

Scott Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Thu Jun 24 15:34:47 EDT 2004

I have a friend who will be getting a new computer soon. Her Win 98 box
is going to hell - apparently big time MoBo problems.
The new machine will run Windows Xtreme Prejudice [XP] like all the
other computers in her home and graphic design business.
She wants a Dell; I told her about CyberSource, but she still wants a
Dell - go figure.

She wants the files in My Docs and certain subdirectories of Prog Files
copied  to the HD of the new box, if possible .
The 98 HD is FAT32, but I think that XP uses NTFS, and NTFS doesn't seem
to interface well with much else [my impression].

My question is this - Could I mount the old  drive in the machine as
slave, and boot with Knoppix to copy the aforementioned files to  an XP
partition on the master, then have them recognized on the next XP boot ?

Once the needed files are copied, then the slave will be able to be
reformatted to XP partitions.

--
hardware: n, the part of a computer that can be kicked.

software: n, the part of a computer that causes hardware to be kicked.

Scott
Mozilla 1.0 mail on Windows 98 SE