SCSI mixed 50 and 68 pin question.

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 21 12:21:25 EDT 2004

I recently got a cast off Pentium "server". It has a dat tape drive and
a CD-ROM ... both SCSI, both 50 pin w/ cable to connect them to a
controller. The only SCSI controller I have is an on board Adaptec
AIC-7880 68 pin already happily supporting the 2 SCSI drives I have
running Slackware 9.1. I was hoping to find a 50 pin connector on the
motherboard to connect these 2 items, but no such luck - too old, I guess.
Is there a way to connect these buggers using something to connect the
50 pin cable to the 68 pin cable I have?
It seems to me that such a setup might screw up the termination by
having a "branch line", but it would be easier as all I'd need is a
single adapter rather than a whole new cable and then more adapters for
the 50 pin devices (I don't have that many free plugs on the cable).
Sometimes I think I should write the "HOWTO run Linux on leftover
hardware because you can't afford anything else." HOWTO! ;-)
Probably why I like Slackware, because it still installs on archaic
hardware!
Thanks, guys!
Greg Neumann