dpi rule?

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Jun 3 08:43:43 EDT 2004

Is there a dpi rule for fonts? In Gnome I can set the dpi for my fonts,
say 81. Is this dpi (dots per inch) referring to horizontal? vertical?
or square? Is there relativity that should be followed in conjuction
with screen resolution? I have been experiencing some strange font
rendering problems and I believe it has something to do with the configs
in my XF86Config file. The font problem is most notable in Mozilla but
also in other apps, etc. Here is a snip from my XF86Config file, Thanks,
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Compaq P900 Color Monitor"
        DisplaySize  320        240
        HorizSync    30.0 - 107.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option      "NvAGP" "1"
        Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option      "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
        Option      "TwinView"
        Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
        Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
        Option      "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
#       Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"
EndSection