Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??)

Timothy J. Finucane speljamr at speljamr.com
Tue Jul 20 10:04:17 EDT 2004

"Fast Enough" will always be relative to current needs. As more, and
higher quality, content feeds come online more bandwidth will be needed.
I can still remember people telling me that 56k was all you would ever
need. Then came streaming video, and to get a good quality feed you
really needed to get broadband. "Fast Enough" assumes that there will
not be any progress/innovation in multimedia formats or content
distribution.

So, for the long term outlook it is hardly overkill. Is it overkill to
have a 200GB hard drive? Maybe it is today, but in 2-3 more years it
won't. We, as a society, are putting more data online everyday, and with
that comes more need for bandwidth and storage.

Also, Verizon is talking about using the same feed to create its own
cable network. This just might break the cable monopolies that currently
exist in each city. After all, your only choices right now are satellite
or cable if you want more content than is on public airwaves. This would
also drive the need for bandwidth.

The downside to this is that they are talking about making access to the
fiber lines closed, unlike the current phone lines. They argue that this
is required because the current cable companies have closed access.
Personally, I would prefer it if BOTH the phone company and cable
company were required to have open access. This would be better for the
consumer in terms of competition and innovation. If the cable/phone
companies have closed access they can then regulate what can and what
cannot be put on the network, thus killing the end-toend concept that
the internet was created on. Innovation would then be regulated by those
companies as well. Anyone remember the time when AT&T regulated what
could and what could not be attached to their phone lines?

Some other alternatives to access may become available as well, like
this one:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2004/07/16/anik040716.html.
Granted, it's a bit more expensive, but that may change as more
companies put up similar satellites.

The more competition and innovation, the better.

Tim

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 01:54, Ronald Maggio wrote:
> Over kill, unless your running a business big time and really need the
> bandwidth and the speed it gives you, or are into interactive gaming
> over the Internet in a big way!
>
> I have ADSL through Verizon at $34.95 a month, and its fast enough for
> the average user. ie: Student, Home to mid size Business, and so on.
>
> Ron
>
> "Joshua R. Altemoos" <joshua at gnu-linux.net> wrote:
>         http://news.com.com/Verizon%27s+fiber+race+is+on/2100-1034_3-5275171.html?tag=nefd.top
>
>         C|NET News.com is reporting that Verizon has announced its
>         pricing on
>         Fiber-to-the-Premises - it 'will
>         cst $35 a month if purchased along with Verizon's local and
>         long-distance telephone service', and more
>         if bought on its own. The high speed internet service, dubbed
>         Verizon
>         Fios, brings speeds up to 30 Mbps
>         to the home
>

>         A 2mbps to 5mbps Fios connection will cost $35 a month if
>         purchased
>         along with Verizon's local and long-distance telephone
>         service. The
>         service will cost $40 if purchased alone. A connection of up
>         to 15mbps
>         is available for $45 a month if purchased as part of the same
>         telephone
>         service bundle, or $50 alone. The company did not reveal
>         pricing for the
>         30mbps plans.
>

>         Whatca Think?? I can;t wait for them to come here!!!
>

>         Josh

“Those who would trade liberty in exchange for some degree of security
end up with neither liberty, nor security.”    —Benjamin Franklin