Verizon Fios (Fiber-to-the-Premises) Internet (Cheap??)

Mike Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Tue Jul 20 09:45:02 EDT 2004

Joshua R. Altemoos wrote:
> http://news.com.com/Verizon%27s+fiber+race+is+on/2100-1034_3-5275171.html?tag=nefd.top
>

> C|NET News.com is reporting that Verizon has announced its pricing on
> Fiber-to-the-Premises - it 'will
> cst $35 a month if purchased along with Verizon's local and
> long-distance telephone service', and more
>  if bought on its own. The high speed internet service, dubbed Verizon
> Fios, brings speeds up to 30 Mbps
>   to the home
>

> A 2mbps to 5mbps Fios connection will cost $35 a month if purchased
> along with Verizon's local and long-distance telephone service. The
> service will cost $40 if purchased alone. A connection of up to 15mbps
> is available for $45 a month if purchased as part of the same telephone
> service bundle, or $50 alone. The company did not reveal pricing for the
> 30mbps plans.
>

> Whatca Think?? I can;t wait for them to come here!!!

If Verizon can provide this at any affordable rate, I might be game. My
_only_ worry would be what their TOS would look like. As Universities
and other orgs with hefty pipes quickly learned, when offering the
masses large amounts of bandwidth, it tends to get abused.

I would much rather stick with Time Warner if I can only use that 2-5mps
connection for e-mail and web browsing. I definitely don't need (or
desire) to get beaten with the ugly stick for using BitTorrent to
download linux ISOs.

- mike