Linux certification options

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Mon Jul 19 16:22:58 EDT 2004

I got my mail back :)

My 2¢
To quote one of my college professors, I can't remember which one,
I wish I could.
It almost sounds like Physics, then later Applied Physics taught
by the same man.

" Education is a tool that allows you to learn in the real world. "

My opinion is education can be obtained from many sources other
than organized institutions.
Most of my finals in Engineering courses also had a Practical
Examination - read hands on.
The paper test proved you knew it, the practical proved you knew
how to do it.

Sounds like either Ben Franklin or  Mark Twain, something along
the lines of:
The ignorant man doesn't know, the smart man at least knows that
he doesn't know.

Cyber Source wrote, On 07/16/04 2:24 PM:

 > ah, can't remember the author but it was something like...You can
 > judge a man's intelligence best by the questions he asks.......
 >
 > Mark Musone wrote:
 >
 >> Well, although I do agree with treating people's certifications in
 >> perspective and with a grain of salt, I don't agree with going the
 >> completely opposite way either. Not being formally trained is
just as
 >> bad as being 100% formally trained. It's about balance and
being well
 >> rounded. Not being formally trained often implies not learning the
 >> "proper" ways of engineering solutions, managing,
troubleshooting, and
 >> most importantly learning.
 >>
 >> Don't get me wrong, kudos to you for being self taught and
being self
 >> employed and a success. However that formula rarely works for most
 >> people.
 >>
 >> While I'll be the first to admit that schooling does not give
any real
 >> world training. It does provide to me the core essential
parts: 1. It
 >> builds a foundation of information. 2. most importantly, it
teaches
 >> people HOW TO LEARN.
 >>
 >> When I interview people, I often don't care what they know. I
care about
 >> what they don't know and how they would find the answer/knowledge.
 >> Hardly in the real world does someone go into a job knowing
100% of what
 >> needs to be done. Careers and responsibilities are all about
solving
 >> problems...problems that one usually does not have the
immediate answer
 >> to..knowing where to find that answer is what separates a key
 >> individual, or just another dime-a-dozen follower.
 >>
 >> -Mark

Behalf Of
 >> Cyber Source
 >> Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 11:03 AM
 >> To: nflug at nflug.org
 >> Subject: Re: Linux certification options
 >>
 >> Having been all self taught and self employed my entire life,
I couldn't

 >> agree more.
 >>
 >> Dave Yearke wrote:
 >>

 >>> Hi,
 >>>
 >>> I just wanted to jump in with my (possibly not worth even)
$0.02 worth
 >>> on the topic of certifications. If one is going to take a
certification
 >>> course, one should do it for the right reason, which is gaining
 >>> knowledge.
 >>>
 >>> I've had the privilege of being part of a few search
committees (what

 >> we
 >>

 >>> call job interviews), and I try to ignore certifications, as
I'm not
 >>> much impressed with them as credentials. As a potential
co-worker, I'm
 >>> more interested in someone that can learn and adapt, has an
attitude
 >>> that enables them to work for and with others, and has years
of "real"
 >>> experience, than in someone who has multiple sets of
four-letter codes
 >>> on their resume that they paid for at one-week OS love-fests.
I've
 >>> encountered too many "certified" people who can't think
"outside the
 >>> box" (a term an old friend and collegue on this list likes to
use), and
 >>> if they encounter a problem that isn't in a book they brought
back from
 >>> a training course, they get like a deer in headlights and
have no idea
 >>> how to proceed. To be fair, not everyone I know is like this,
but I've
 >>> seen my share of people who think ..CE courses give them all the
 >>> knowledge they'll ever need.
 >>>
 >>> Short version: Personality and experience go a lot further than
 >>>

 >> one-week
 >>

 >>> excursions to pay for a piece of paper and a set of initials.
Again, my
 >>> opinion, based on my world view.
 >>>
 >>> Oh, and for those interested in learning Unix-like operating
systems,
 >>> you'll do yourself a favor by also working with the more
successful
 >>> commercial versions, like Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX (in fact,
Solaris is
 >>> free (as in beer) for the downloading). Your mileage may
vary. :-)

--
The sole purpose of my life is, apparently, to test my sanity.

Scott
Netscape 7.0 on Win 98 SE