attn: Justin

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Sat Jul 17 00:03:07 EDT 2004

Now, I do have my CCNA, so this is my (biased?) viewpoint.

I'd definately say it's worth it to get the CCNA/CCNP/CC**. The great
thing that I found about the main Cisco certs is that they require a lot
of hands on experience. The CCNA is definately a good start in
understanding basic networking principles, and configuring
routers/switches. Unfortunately, this requires you to have access to
(specifically) Cisco routers, switches, and networks to practice the
labs and configure the network. There is also software simulators to
help with this, but I have never used any of them, so I can't say how
well that will prepare you for the exams.

For me, I took the Cisco Networking Academy in High School (@ Sweet Home
High School). The summer after I graduated, I had two IT internships and
I got my CCNA certification. The knowledge from the Academy is what
helped me get the internships and create a decent base of knowledge. By
getting the certification, and subsequently showing them that I actually
knew the material, it allowed me to land a permanent job from the one
internship. For me, I got more respect from my co-workers and managers
when they found out that (even though I just got out of high school,
with no real world experience) I had my Cisco certification and
training. So for anyone who does not have a lot of "real world"
experience, it may help you gain a little more respect - or at least the
opportunity to prove that you know the material. As with any cert
though, you actually need to be able to back up that piece of paper.

As I said, this is my own experience, so the results will vary, but
Cisco certs are always good to have.

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
>>> joshua at gnu-linux.net 07/16/04 6:30 PM >>>
Well what about the CCNA and CCNP are they worth it?