Perl - how to install the latest version?

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Thu Jan 29 09:24:04 EST 2004

Most often, if you get "warnings" while compiling, don't worry about it.
If you get errors that cause compilation to stop, then you'll have issues.

As far as compiling SpamAssassin, I use CPAN to do the work for me, which
will install any prerequisites needed by spamasassin.

At the command line, and as root, type "cpan" and you'll be put into a
cpan command prompt, "cpan>". If that doesn't work, try: "perl -MCPAN -e
shell" to initiate CPAN and from then on, the 'cpan' command should work.

Once at the cpan command prompt, type (minus "cpan> "):

cpan> o conf prerequisites_policy ask
cpan> install Mail::SpamAssassin
cpan> quit

If it asks to install additional modules, do so.

Then spamassassin will be installed.  To set it up, check out
SpamAsassin's website, http://spamassassin.org/

Hope that helps...

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */