Sparcstation 5

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Sat Jan 10 15:15:04 EST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Erek Dyskant wrote:

> 	I personally do not see a lot of reason to use Sun hardware on a
> linux box.  It seems that Intel hardware is so reasonable in price now,
> and it is certainly nice not having to recompile every linux program you
> want to run.
> 	Now, if you want to play with Solaris...

Not to start a flame way, but Solaris on a SS5 isn't exactly the fastest
thing in the world - Debian breathed new life into my U5. Sparc linux is
extremely mature. I can count the number of times I haven't been able to
apt-get a deb binary on one hand. Cutting over to a sparc with linux is a
nice intro to the world of real, non-x86, RISC hardware. So why not run
it?

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst