Xp/Samba

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 18:44:20 EST 2004

What version of samba?  What do you see in the samba logs?
(/var/log/samba/log.smb)
How do you have samba configured with regards to security level?
 (security = user/share/domain )
Are you using "username map" functionality in samba?
are you using encrypted passwords? (encrypt passwords = yes in smb.conf)
necessary for XP unless you applied a registry patch/change to over-ride it.

--- Justin Bennett <justin.bennett at dynabrade.com> wrote:
> We have an XP laptop connecting to a samba server (just mentioned to
> pretend this is a linux question) whenever the laptop connects to the
> samba server it always wants to use a certain username, no matter if I
> disconnect all drives, reboot and try to map a drive as a diffrent
> username. It always wants to use this one username (which isn't that of
> the laptops owner). It's a laptop so it doesn't log into a domain or
> anything. No matter what I try I can't get it to connect to the server
> as anything other than this certain username, which happens to be our
> help desk guy, I've tried searching the registry and can't find any
> occurances of this username. Any idea where this may be cached? I tried
> to map the drive from the command line with net use and specifying the
> username, it gives me a wrong password then. It appears that it is still
> trying to map as this one userid.
>

> Justin
>

> --
> Justin Bennett