DCOPServer

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Sun Feb 15 23:11:32 EST 2004

What the hell is a DCOP server, and how do I enable it from a boot prompt ??

After log in, when KDE is starting, I get this message:

There was some error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.
The message returned by the system was: Could not read network
connnection list /home/demo/.DCOPserver_demolinux_:0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

The only option is to click OK, which dumps me back to the log in screen,
so it must be a boot option.  I chose Shutdown - Reboot.
On a reboot, what key[s] do I press to get the boot: prompt to stay up ?
It flashes right by, apparently the time out is set for 0 seconds.

What key combination kills Xwindows ?
I don't mean to kill a particular window [Ctrl Alt Esc], I want to stop the
whole shebang, to get to text mode. Sort of the opposite of "startx" from
a command line. I thought it was Ctrl Alt Backsp, but that shuts the whole
system down.

--
The sole purpose of my life is, apparently, to test my sanity.

Scott
Netscape 7.0 on Win 98 SE