Building a nix server

hawkwynd hawkwynd at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 3 21:26:45 EST 2004

My ISP is adelphia cable, who are currently blocking port 80 (Those
Bastards!)

I do have a 486 lying in the basement, I think it's still got
enough 'umph' to be a firewall, so I'll crack the case open and see if I
can get it to fire up. Shouldn't need more than a 1gb hd for it, should I,
if it's sole responsibility is to be a firewall?

I have a copy of the Fedora Project, just not install all the bells and
whistles on it for graphical stuff, and it should run ok, right?
Is 128mb ram enough?

Ok, I have a server, AMD K6-2 450Mhz with 512mb ram and 36gb w/ raid
controller and dds3 tape drv, and a 7 drive scsi plextor tower I want to
use for my email, web, dhcp and fun love as well as the SpamAssasin filter
for my windows machines (God I LOVE THIS!) It's currently the gateway, so
I guess the first act of contrition is to get working on the firewall. So,
off to the basement I go..

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me soon.. Thanks!