security (continued)

cliff at cliffmeyers.com cliff at cliffmeyers.com
Mon Feb 2 15:59:08 EST 2004

Mark,

First, let me thank you for all your comments and input.

I really highly doubt that anyone has hacked the firewall.  I suppose it's
possible, but considering it's a Sonicwall hardware firewall appliance I have a
hard time believe that anyone is able to just punch through that.  I'd have to
wager a guess that on average it's "more secure" than a Linux firewall box, but
then again, I could be totally wrong.

I've examined the other 3 servers in the DMZ - 2 are web running ColdFusion and
the 3rd is a database server running MySQL and PostgreSQL.  Naturally, the hacker
could have covered their tracks here, but considering the exploits on the PHP web
server were so recognizable I'd doubt that these would have been hacked in such a
secretive and well-disguised manner.

Anyways, I'm going to push onward with the re-install tonight.  Here's my guess
what happened - maybe you can tell me if you think I'm crazy or not:

(1)  Hacker runs vulnerability script against PHP-based server
(2)  Hackers finds it running PHP 4.3.2 and Apache 1.3.26
(3)  Hacker uses well-known exploits to gain root access
(4)  Cliff notices this and re-installs the OS
(5)  Cliff makes stupid mistake of restoring the web root of all web servers onto
new server and possibly transfers the exploit files back onto server
(6)  Hacker finds exploits and uses them again to get weird process running on
server (as of Monday morning)

What do you think?  Obviously there are an infinite number of paths that could be
taken here.  The other (possible, maybe plausible) explanation is a problem with
the PHP code on the server itself.  Either way I'd lean towards the problem being
related to PHP since the other "unaffected" servers aren't running PHP and 2 of
them are running Apache (including one with an older version on it) and haven't
been hacked...

Now I'm the one babbling!  I'll let you know how things go.

-Cliff