issues with security

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 13:26:39 EST 2004

Hmmm... sounds like either someone has gotten hold of your root password (you
never mentioned if you changed it) or has managed to create a root perms
account in your password file that got copied over or there is something in
your PHP code that is exploitable.  Cruise your PHP code and make sure that
it's not invoking any SetUID programs.  Also, make sure that you're not running
apache as user 'root'.  If the only thing that the firewall is allowing through
is port 80, then the next thing to do is to run apache in a chroot jail so that
it can't get at the O/S in any way.

Also, turn off ANY AND ALL services on the server that are not being used.
This includes 'telnet', 'ftp', 'ssh' (if you're not using it), Email, SMB, etc.

I still would have a look at your firewall's rules to make sure that it's not
letting anything but port 80 through.

Turn on RedHat's internal firewall.  There are options when you do the install
to automatically firewall the machine and you can determine what ports are
allowed by the kernel.

Did I mention your firewall's rules? :-)

Cheers!

Bob