Building a nix server

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 08:34:13 EST 2004

Yes, this can certainly be done.  Personnaly, I prefer to have the firewall
functions separated from any other functions to minimize the possiblity that
the  firewall would be compromized.

The method to use would be to build a Linux server with all of the functions
that you need (probably a mail server, IMAP, spamassassin or some such) and
layer in a firewall package.  My preference in firewalls is 'shorewall' but all
of them use the inherent 'iptables' support in the kernel so any one you choose
should work equally well.

Cheers!

Bob