Building a nix server

hawkwynd hawkwynd at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 2 07:02:12 EST 2004

	Currently, I have an AMD K62-550 w/ 256mb ram, Adaptec AAA-131
raid controller w/ 4 Ultrastar 9gb drives and a 20gb eide boot disk. The
Os is win2k server which I am using as my gateway to the ISP for my
workstations. I know I could replace it easily with a router and be done
with it, but I have another idea/wish for it.

	I would like to configure that machine to be the following:

1. An Internet gateway for my home network, as well as the firewall to
prevent all the evils from coming in to my network. I also have a wireless
access point tied into my switch, for my notebook which is currently
running win2k, (soon to be nix).

2. an email server for myself (using Pine on Rh 7.2), and my wife's
machine, who is using OE on her win2k pro machine.

	I own a domain name, hawkwynd.com, and would like to set up 2 or
three email accounts for our own private use, instead of the spam ladened
accounts we use now from our ISP. I know there is a way to do this with
Linux.

	Got any good book titles or URL's so I can make this happen? If
not all, I'd accept one piece of the list so far to get me started.

Thank you.

--

Scott Fleming
A+ Certified CompTIA Technician