small network

Advent Systems adventsystems at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 22:30:49 EST 2004

OK, I'm convinced nfs is the way to go, from what I gather samba is not
for newbies, and I'm getting tired :) .
     I follow you re: windows Internet security but my stuff is really
fairly tightened down.  I have cookies, java, java script off (I know
there are some things I can't do on the Internet but all the things I
want to do I can), mozilla is the ONLY thing that sysgate is allowed to
let through ie. no windows services., and I don't open ANY attachments
that I'm not  expecting (I'm a little paranoid) and my passwords are
strong on everything.  I know that if someone skilled did a concentrated
attack on my machines you could get in but the   average
scriptkiddy/port scanning/war driver wont.
    Whats the big/real difference between FC2 & FC3, man I still don't
have everything up yet with FC2.  I really LOVE (don't ask me why) FC2 &
Gnome but coming from SuSE and mandrake where you just put the dvd's in
and 30min. latter EVERYTHING works! (but not stable imo).
    On the concept of setting up one box as a dedicated server and the
others as work stations, Is the idea no data stored locally on the
workstations?  Because I do have large stores of data  (waves, mp3's,
etc) that  pretty much stay the same and could be put on a server but
there still is a lot of data generated at the  other machines that  I
would want to have available to the other machines.
    Lastly, are you suggesting the server would replace my AP/router for
handling DHCP and gateway chores?

Thanks,
Bob Randal