USB Drive

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Dec 30 08:57:28 EST 2004

FC2 automounted the usb drives (if selected in your preferences) and FC
automounts them AND puts the shortcut on the desktop AND opens a window
showing the content of the drive (again if selected in your preferences,
about automounting). This is speaking of GNOME, I would imagine similar
functionality in KDE.
Also, bear in mind that this is not just added functionality between
Mandrake or FC but rather the newer 2.6 kernels that they both use. FC3
comes with 2.6.9-1.667. FC3 also comes haldaemon, which can interact
with hardware and change your /etc/fstab accordingly, and if you already
have a line in your /etc/fstab with "managed", can further control the
hardware with other options, but that's a story for a different day.
Scott, I sent you the previous email assuming that IF the drive had
auto-mounted and popped up on the desktop you wouldnt have sent your
original email. And if memory serves, you also have an older box that
you have win98 and Mandrake 8 something? Probably running a 2.4? kernel.
The usb stuff that I worked with between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels was
really hit and miss from release to release, some worked well others
didn't. If the drive doesn't show when doing a "dmesg", for the sake of
simplicity and overall better outcome, it might be time to upgrade that
box. We could do it at the next meeting, if we have one that is.
Frank, are you still offering your house?