cd/dvd & mouse

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 18:13:03 EST 2004

Do you have DMA enabled  for your hard disks/CDroms?  (hdparm /dev/hdx -d,
replacing x with a,b,c,d) will return "1" if dms is turned on ,or "0" if it's
off,  to turn it on issue "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx" as root

--- jb <mesimpleton at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I'm opening multiple programs my mouse gets sluggish. I was
> wondering if there is a way to give it more cpu time or more priority?
> Would mouse priority be something (nice) can do and if that is the case
> how do I go about it? I'm also setting up a Fedora 3 box and I'm having
> difficulty getting my users access to my cd & dvd. Root has full access.

Modify your /etc/fstab file to add the "user" flag to the options for the cdrom
so it looks like:
/dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom     iso9660      user,noauto,ro 0 0

> I changed permission in users and groups but I still don't have
> permission as an average user.  I know it involves SELinux, I'm just not
> savvy enough with it to know the quick fix. I checked on the web for
> info on both problems and I didn't find much help.
> Thanks in advance...
> On a side note, has anyone tinkered with xdesktopwaves? If you want
> something unique for the desktop xdesktopwaves is it.
> http://xdesktopwaves.sourceforge.net/
> jb

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk