linux newbie cdwriting

Don Monroe contactme at donmonroe.com
Mon Dec 6 17:48:49 EST 2004

http://www.gentoo.org

Gentoo has kde-3.3.0, gnome, fluxbox, openbox, blackbox, enlightenment,
and probably others that I haven't even heard about -- and it has the latest
versions.  Gentoo really is a slick distribution.  The 'emerge' command
is really nice for installing the latest and greatest software.  For instance,
I am running Gnome but i like the K3B burning software.  No problem with
Gentoo.  Simply type '# emerge k3b' and portage examines your system, determines
dependencies, goes to the web, downloads the source, compiles the program
and in a few minutes k3b is burning CDs and DVDs.  If portage cannot install
the software without breaking something it will advise you.  There is even
an application called 'porthole' [# emerge porthole] which is a GUI of portage.
 Find what your looking for on the list, select emerge, and watch it fly.
Want something that isn't list in portage?  You can do that to provided
you understand the risks.

I consider myself a n00bie as well.  I have tried many distributions including
SuSE 9.1 Pro.  I like SuSE, but it was very difficult to install the latest
versions of software such as kde-3.3.0.  The software came with kde-3.2
but it was a nightmare getting kde-3.3.0 working.  I eventually gave up
because what's the point?  It just wouldn't work without breaking something
else.  Some internet buddies of mine turned me on to Gentoo.  Give it a
try.  I'd be happy to help with the install if help is needed.

Best regards,

Don