apt-get synaptic

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 09:57:09 EDT 2004

I have the Nvidia geforce 2mx video card and the only thing I saw in apt was
an app to overclock Nvidia (nvclock). If I use the RedHat generic driver I
don't get acceleration with Xfree86-Mesa-libGL or something to that effect. I
use the driver from Nvidia which has to be recompiled with a kernel upgrade.
The Nvidia driver has a auto upgrade and install option but I am on dialup
and it requires you not to be in X. I tried setting up ppp so I could dialup
from a command line but couldn't get it to work without too much effort. One
of these days I'll give ppp another attempt.
I did get my Handspring Visor set up to hotsync, the only thing giving me
problems is it won't sync with kmail to send and receive email. I downloaded
pilot-mailsync which might do the trick if I use jpilot, just haven't
installed it yet to see.
On an off subject, I'm looking for a good motherboard over 1 ghz, preferably
AMD which uses PC-100 RAM, (3 slots), new or used. HP wants $180 with a core
deposit to replace my 755mhz. I didn't even ask HP for a price to upgrade the
CPU. If you have a moboard that fits the discription laying around, send me
an email (mesimpleton at yahoo.com).
THX
JEB